|Ontario Association of Physics Teachers|
Here's hoping everyone had an enjoyable summer. I thought I should provide an update on happenings in the OAPT as we head back for another season.
1. I have stepped in as president, replacing Dave Doucette who did such a brilliant job leading us as president for the past two years. He will be continuing his involvement with OAPT as the past president, providing me with guidance and a sounding board. We are looking for a vice-president for next year. I will be staying on as president for a second year and the vice-president will be in charge of the conference in 2013 hosted by U of T’s Engineering Department and then will be the president in 2014.
2. Shawn Brooks has passed the job of treasurer to Elizabeth Dunning, who will be seconded by Robert Steadman as the Member-at-Large, who will focus on financial planning. Huge thanks to Shawn for his work as treasurer.
3. Olga Michapoulos has stepped in as secretary. Kieran Faw is going to be very busy next year and we thank her for her efforts this year.
4. James Ball has stepped up to be the membership chair, replacing Ernie McFarland who did the job so well for so long. Thanks Ernie.
5. These are the major changes, but there are many, many more because over two dozen people have stepped up and volunteered to be responsible for a particular task. For full details go to the Contact Page. There are other tasks that need doing – big ones and small. Rolly Meisel needs people to write some contest questions and review the test. Andy Moss and Rachelle Frederick will need many people to help during the conference and/or after by introducing and thanking the workshop speakers, distributing and collecting the session survey cards and finally collating the data from these cards. Many hands make light work. Whatever your interest and time commitment – we can use you. Drop me an email and we will find you a place.
The Perimeter Institute is hosting out next conference, April 26-28. We will have a huge range of workshops ranging from physics in biology, drama, YouTube, philosophy and cutting edge research. We also expect to be able to offer the same amazing accommodation price of $19.99 per night! Mark these dates in your calendar now!
The transition from paper to an online format has been much more difficult than anticipated. I have been assured that next year’s contest will run perfectly.
The newsletter is going electronic! This will allow much more flexibility in content and size and it will allow us to link the newsletter more effectively with the website. The September and November issues will also have a paper version as we use up our remaining newsletter stock.
Have a wonderful year and keep in touch! Roberta